HoaEconomics, Mathematics, Physics, Politics, Psychology
"I won a scholarship to LSE thanks to my teachers at David Game."
- Eurostar 1
Leisure and Tourism
Leisure and Tourism is an applied subject at GCSE, which is concerned with people’s changing leisure activities and travel behaviour, the destinations that people visit and changes in patterns of tourism, including the issues of impact and sustainability that they raise. GCSE Leisure and Tourism also covers the study of leisure and tourism organisations – the businesses which make up the leisure and tourism industries. Promotion and sales activities, working in leisure and tourism, and health and safety issues faced by leisure and tourism organisations are all included.
AQA GCSE Leisure and Tourism offers candidates the opportunity to:
know and understand about leisure and tourism activities and provision in the UK and abroad
gain skills in applying their knowledge to real world situations, including in planning and carrying out investigations
learn to analyse and evaluate evidence and sources, to make reasoned judgements and to draw conclusions.
Unit 1: Understanding leisure and tourism destinations
40% external assessment
External assessment: 1 hour short and longer answers examination paper.
- The range of leisure and tourism destinations in the UK and abroad
- How people choose which destinations to visit
- Visitor attractions and activities
- Methods of travel available to leisure and tourism destinations and why people choose them
- Impact of tourism on communities and the environment. The importance of sustainability in leisure and tourism. Ecotourism
Unit 2 The nature of leisure and tourism
60% controlled assessment
Controlled assessment. A choice of one from a range of investigative tasks:
- Why people use leisure and tourism facilities
- Different types of leisure and tourism organisations and facilities
- The UK’s rapidly changing leisure and tourism industry
- Leisure and tourism organisations as businesses
- The range of employment opportunities in the leisure and tourism industry