Introduction by David Game
Ever since I founded the College 43 years ago, I have followed the principle that we should offer the benefit of expert tuition in small groups to students of all abilities. It gives me great satisfaction to take a mid-grade GCSE student and improve his or her performance to A or B grades at A level in order to help the student qualify for a good university. Equally, I take great pride in helping academically bright students fulfil their potential by going on to elite universities like Oxford and Cambridge.
It is a practice in many private schools to offer fee discounts in the form of bursaries (for the children of low income parents) and scholarships (for academically bright children.) I have set up the David Game Foundation to offer a variety of Awards to students who meet a combination of factors – (a) their parents might have insufficient funds to pay for all of the courses, (b) the student has potential that can be nurtured by us, and above all (c) the student must have a hunger to work hard to achieve the best they can. If you as parents think your child may qualify, please talk to our Admissions Department about which of the following Awards you would like to apply for.
- The David Game Academic Excellence Awards – up to 2 Awards with 100% reduction in tuition fees.
Each year the College will fund 100% of tuition fees for at most two students who can justify to the College that they have the potential, ambition and work ethic to succeed at A level and qualify for a top university. One award will go to an A level student whose parents have insufficient funds to pay for a private college; the second award will be a scholarship for an A level student who gains at least 8 GCSE passes at Grades A* or A, or equivalent.
- David Game Science Awards – 2 Awards of 25%
Candidates should be taking a minimum of 3 A levels in the sciences or maths over a 2 year course, with the objective of entry to a science or engineering degree at university.
- David Game Medical School Awards – 3 Awards of 25%
Candidates should be taking a minimum of 3 A levels over a 2 year course, with the objective of taking medical, dentistry or veterinary science degrees at university. Applicants must have a minimum of 5 GCSEs with at least A* or A grade in appropriate subjects, or equivalent qualification.
- The David Game Social Sciences Awards – 2 Awards of up to 15%
Candidates should be seeking to qualify for a University degree in a profession such as law or finance and be taking at least 3 A levels in appropriate subjects
- The Art Academy Awards – 2 Awards of 15%
Candidates should exhibit a proven artistic ability. A portfolio of work should be brought to interview.
- The Foundation reserves the right to withdraw an Award if the student is not putting sufficient personal commitment into their studies. The Foundation receives regular reports on students.
- All Awards are reductions in tuition fees only. There are no awards for accommodation.
- All Awards are totally at the discretion of the Foundation whose decision is final.
- The Foundation may decide not to allocate all Awards listed, or to transfer Awards from one category to another.
- Awards are only given for courses lasting at least two years.
In exceptional circumstances, the Foundation will consider an Award for an existing student, where their family has suffered an unfortunate event such as death, long term illness or redundancy of a parent.
David Game College is delighted to launch its Scholarship for Excellence Programme.
Each September a scholarship fund of up to £5000 will be distributed to A level students who have successfully gained places at top British universities.
The Scholarships for Excellence are designed to recognise our high-achieving A level students and to assist towards the costs of their university studies. For GCSE students who return to study A levels with us we will award up to a 50% scholarship for those who achieved 5 A/A*s in their exams.
In September 2017 Scholarships for Excellence will be awarded in these areas:
- The David Game Scholarship for Excellence in Science or Medicine
- The David Game Scholarship for Excellence in the Arts and Humanities
- The David Game Scholarship for Excellence in the Social Sciences and Law
- The David Game Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement